In a previous post I mentioned that I upgraded my homebrew install of Emacs after Emacs 26.2 was released, and noticed that I had lost its GUI functionality. That’s a pretty serious restriction for me as I usually end up with multiple frames across my desktop. I did end up installing the homebrew Emacs for […]
I’ve blogged about building Emacs 26 on WSL before. The text mode version of my WSL build always worked for me out of the box, but the last time I tried running an X-Windows version, I ran into rendering issues. Those rendering issues unfortunately made the GUI version of Emacs unusable on WSL. Nothing like […]
I mentioned in my previous post that I somehow had ended up with a non-working org2blog installation. My suspicion is that this was triggered by my pinning of the htmlize package to the “wrong” repo. I had it pinned to marmalade rather than melpa-stable, and marmalade had an old version of htmlize (1.39, from memory). […]
The post And now, an Emacs with a working org2blog installation again appeared first on The Lone C++ Coder's Blog.
I finally got around to upgrading my OS X installation from Mojave to High Sierra – my OS update schedule is usually based on the old pilot wisdom of “don’t fly the A model of anything”. As part of the upgrade, I ended up reinstalling all homebrew packages including Emacs to make sure I was […]
The post Unwelcome surprise – homebrew Emacs has no GUI after OS X Mojave update appeared first on The Lone C++ Coder's Blog.
Ben Simon has a post up on his blog describing how he set up a scheme development environment on his Galaxy S9 Android phone. It was also an especially timely post as I had been eyeing a Mac Quadra with a Symbolics Lisp Machine extension card on eBay. As if we needed another reminder just […]
The post Someone installed a Scheme development environment on their phone appeared first on The Lone C++ Coder's Blog.
Saw the announcement on on the GNU Emacs mailing list this morning. Much to my surprise, it’s also already available on homebrew. So my Mac is now sporting a new fetching version of Emacs as well :). I’ve been running the release candidate on several Linux machines already and was very happy with it, so […]
The post Emacs 26.1 has been released (and it’s already on Homebrew) appeared first on The Lone C++ Coder's Blog.
I’ve previously blogged about using Emacs to convert line endings and use it as an alternative to the dos2unix/unix2dos tools. Using set-buffer-file-coding-system works well and has been my go-to conversion method. That said, there is another way to do the same conversion by using M-x recode-region. As the name implies, recode-region works on a region. […]
The post Another way to use Emacs to convert DOS/Unix line endings appeared first on The Lone C++ Coder's Blog.
As posted in a few places, Emacs 26.1-RC1 has been released. Following up my previous experiments with running Emacs on the Windows Subsystem for Linux, I naturally had to see how the latest version would work out. For that, I built the RC1 on an up-to-date Ubuntu WSL. I actually built it twice – once […]
A quick follow-up to my last post where I was experimenting with running emacsclient from an ansi-term running in the main Emacs. Interestingly, you can run Emacs in text mode within an ansi-term, just not emacsclient: Yes, the whole thing got a little recursive. Yes, it’s a little silly, and yes, I’m one of those […]
I’m experimenting with screen recordings at the moment and just out of curiosity decided to see if I can load and edit a text file inside the main Emacs process from inside an ansi-term using emacsclient. Spoiler alert – yes, you can. At least the way it is set up on my system, emacsclient doesn’t […]