The error message was somewhat flummoxing, largely because it was so generic, but also because the data all came from a database extract rather than manual input:
Input string was not in a correct format.
Naturally I looked carefully at all the various decimal and date values as I knew this was the kind of message you get when parsing those kind of values when they’re incorrectly formed, but none of them appeared to be at fault. The DateTime error message is actually slightly different  but I’d forgotten that at the time and so I eyeballed the dates as well as decimal values just in case.
Then I remembered that empty string values also caused this error, but lo-and-behold I was not missing any optional decimals or dates in my table either. Time to hit the debugger and see what was going on here .
The Plot Thickens
I changed the settings for the FormatException error type to break on throw, sent in my data to the service, and waited for it to trip. It didn’t take long before the debugger fired into life and I could see that the code was trying to parse a decimal value as a double but the string value was “0100/04/01”, i.e. the 1st April in the year 100. WTF!
I immediately went back to my table and checked my data again, aware that a date like this would have stood out a mile first time around, but I was happy to assume that I could have missed it. This time I used some regular expressions just to be sure my eyes were not deceiving me.
The thing was I knew what column the parser thought the value was in but I didn’t entirely trust that I hadn’t mucked up the file structure and added or removed an errant comma in the CSV input file. I didn’t appear to have done that and so the value that appeared to be causing this problem was the decimal number “100.04”, but how?
None of this made any sense and so I decided to debug the client code, right from reading in the CSV data file through to sending it across the wire to the service, to see what was happening. The service was invoked via a fairly simple WCF client assembly and as I stepped into that code I came across a method called NormaliseDate()...
The Mist Clears
What this method did was to attempt to parse the input string value as a date and if it was successful it would rewrite it in an unusual (to me) “universal” format – YYYY/MM/DD .
The first two parsing attempts it did were very specific, i.e. it used DateTime.ParseExact() to match the intended output format and the “sane” local time format of DD/MM/YYYY. So far, so good.
However the third and last attempt, for whatever reason, just used DateTime.Parse() in its no-frills form and that was happy to take a decimal number like “100.04” and treat it as a date in the format YYY.MM! At first I wondered if it was treating it as a serial or OLE date of some kind but I think it’s just more liberal in its choice of separators than the author of our method intended .
Naturally there are no unit tests for this code or any type of regression test suite that shows what kind of scenarios this method was intended to support. Due to lack of knowledge around deployment and use in the wild of the client library I was forced to pad the values in the input file with trailing zeroes in the short term to workaround the issue, yuck! 
This isn’t the first time I’ve had a run-in with a date parser. When I was working on REST APIs I always got frustrated by how permissive the JSON parser would be in attempting to coerce a string value into a date (and time). All we ever wanted was to keep it simple and only allow ISO-8601 format timestamps in UTC unless there was a genuine need to support other formats.
Every time I started writing the acceptance tests though for timestamp validation I’d find that I could never quite configure the JSON parser to reject everything but the desired format. In the earlier days of my time with ASP.Net even getting it to stop accepting local times was a struggle and even caused us a problem as we discovered a US/UK date format confusion error which the parser was hiding from us.
In the end we resorted to creating our own Iso8601DateTime type which used the .Net DateTimeOffest type under the covers but effectively allowed us to use our own custom JSON serializer methods to only support the exact format we wanted.
More recently JSON.Net has gotten better at letting you control the format and parsing of dates but it’s still not perfect and there are unit tests in past codebases that show variants that would unexpectedly pass, despite using the strictest settings. I wouldn’t be surprised if our Iso8601DateTime type was still in use as I can only assume everyone else is far less pedantic about the validation of datetimes and those that are have taken a similar route to ensure they control parsing.
A Dangerous Game
One should not lose sight though of the real issue here which the attempt to classify string values by attempting to parse them. Even if you limit yourself to a single locale you might get away with it but when you try and do that across arbitrary locales you’re just asking for trouble.
 “String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.”
 This whole fiasco falls squarely in the territory I’ve covered before in my Overload article “Terse Exception Messages”. Fixing this went to the top of my backlog, especially after I discovered it was a problem for our users too.
 Why they didn’t just pick THE universal format of ISO-8601 is anyone’s guess.
 I still need to go back and read the documentation for this method because it clearly caters for scenarios I just don’t normally see in my normal locale or user base.
 That’s what happens with tactical solutions, no one ever quite gets around to documenting anything because they never think it’ll survive for very long...