Good programmers are supposed to be lazy, right? The way I interpret this statement - because none of the software engineers who I know could be considered lazy - is that we like to automate repetitive tasks. You know, tasks like checking if you’ve made any changes to your blog and then building the blog and deploying the changes automatically. Which is what I’ve done, and in this post I’ll show you my minimalist setup to do so.
One “biggie” that was holding up this blog’s migration to a static site was getting a comments system up and running, followed by importing the existing comments. I had picked Isso a while back as it allows for easy import of existing comments from WordPress. I really didn’t want to depend on a third party […]
The post Static site migration – we have working comments with isso! appeared first on The Lone C++ Coder's Blog.
I have a few more loose ends to tidy up before switching to the static version of the blog. One of the important tasks was to make sure I had a spell checker available. Back in the dim and distant past I had set up flyspell-mode with hunspell, but I wanted to check if there […]
The post Setting up enchant for use with flyspell-mode on macOS appeared first on The Lone C++ Coder's Blog.
Now that I’ve got the static site up and running, it’s obviously time to switch over immediately, right? Not to fast. After QA’ing my deployment process in production, it was time to check how the two compared from a performance perspective. I like to use several different tests, starting with Pingdom, then using PageSpeed Insights […]
The post Static site migration – starting the optimisation, already appeared first on The Lone C++ Coder's Blog.
Ah yes, the guy who used wear the “I don’t often test my code, but if I do, I do it in production” T-shirt in an ironic way followed his own advice, unironically. The deployment script was ultra efficient and mainly removed the static site when updating it. Think about all the bandwidth this conserved! […]
I have been toying with the idea of migrating this blog to a static site to simplify its maintenance for some time. While WordPress is a great tool, this blog is a side project and any time I have to spend maintaining WordPress gets deducted from the time I have to write for the blog. […]
The post Moving this blog to a static site – this time I’m serious (because org-mode) appeared first on The Lone C++ Coder's Blog.
I’ve mentioned in the past how you can configure the MongoDB Java driver output from Java. Most Clojure applications that use MongoDB use a database driver that wraps the official MongoDB Java driver. I personally use monger for a lot of my projects, but also occasionally created my own wrapper. The methods described in this […]
The post Configuring MongoDB Java driver logging from Clojure using timbre appeared first on The Lone C++ Coder's Blog.
I don’t usually do Happy New Year posts, but given how “well” 2020 went I thought it was appropriate to start 2021 with a whimsy post. This post is probably going to date me since it’s been a few years – OK, decades – since these were current. Well, it’s not the actual computer, but […]
The post I bought the first computer I ever wrote a program on appeared first on The Lone C++ Coder's Blog.
My main PC workstation (as opposed to my Mac Pro) is a dual-boot Windows and Linux machine. While backing up the Windows portion is relatively easy via some cheap-ish commercial backup software, I ended up backing up my Linux home directories only very occasionally. Clearly, Something Had To Be Done ™. I had a look […]