For most of my programming career I have worked directly on the main integration branch (aka trunk / master) for day-to-day development. Release branches have featured occasionally at various clients, mostly to compensate for bureaucracy, and I once had the misfortune to work with project-level branches (see “The Cost of Long-Lived Feature Branches”) which was a merge nightmare. More recently I got to work in a team that used much shorter lived feature branches  and I got a reminder of the kinds of problems even they cause.
When the branch is confined to a single repository and that repo is for the delivered product then the only people who are affected by the changes are those working on the branch. (We’re not talking about the Cost of Delay here for the customer, this is about intra-team delays.) However once we start making changes outside the main repository, such as our library repos (nay packages) things get more complicated.
Although in theory we could create a similar branch in the library repo the point of integration between the two codebases (product and library) is usually at a binary level, i.e. the package repository. The package manager almost certainly doesn’t deal in branches per-se, only published versions of a package .
Where things get even more complicated is when you have a few packages that all make use of some 3rd party library, e.g. a message queuing product, and you discover you need to upgrade that as part of your feature work too. If you go via the normal channels you’ll end up upgrading the dependency in the packages, publish them, and then pull those upgraded packages into your feature branch and carry on where you left off .
However, anyone working on another feature branch or even the trunk can no longer make an orthogonal change to those packages because pulling them in would likely create an impedance mismatch, unless they also duplicate the integration work done on the feature branch or cherry pick it. Ideally that would be a trivial merge but the very nature of feature branches is to work in isolation and therefore changes tend to get intertwined because the focus is on the feature itself, not the integration steps in-between.
Essentially until the new package versions are fully integrated any changes to them will be delayed, which if you’ve already started work means a blocker goes up on the board. In this instance, being used to trunk based development, I didn’t want to wait so instead reverted the upgrade to the 3rd party library, published it (with my changes), and then integrated it into the main product directly on the trunk.
Unfortunately this creates an extra burden for those on the feature branch as they will need to re-upgrade the package again before integrating their changes back into the trunk. Such is the price for working in isolation.
Small is Beautiful
One of the benefits of working in an Agile way using trunk based development is that it teaches you to focus of really small, but nonetheless valuable changes. A user story may be split across a number of commits and so we have to think about the way we’ll deliver the changes. Feature toggles help us to hide our work in progress but, as just described, occasionally we may need to make a more sweeping change.
In these scenarios we should be able to push the feature work temporarily onto the “stack”, make the package changes, and then pop the feature work and carry on. With trunk based development the work is woven in just like any other, but when using a feature branch you need to switch back to the trunk, perform the upgrade, then merge trunk into the feature branch before carrying on.
I believe that if you are able to make this work smoothly using a feature branch then you are almost certainly capable of making the changes directly on the trunk in the first place. Planning doesn’t stop at the release and sprint level, we also need to plan how we evolve the codebase at story and task level too to minimise disruption to others whilst also making progress on our own work.
 They only lasted a few days and were trying to move away from that where possible.
 In theory this is where sematic versioning comes into play as the breaking change demands a new major version. My change would then have been made for both major versions. I say “in theory” because In my experience this is not an approach commonly taken by enterprise development teams for internal libraries – the path of least resistance usually wins.
 Alternatively you may be able to hide the library’s dependency, assuming it’s backwardly compatible, by binding to it directly such as via a static library or merging assemblies. However, as with , it’s not the usual approach.